Rush of Mega Millions lottery sales prompts surprise jackpot increase

Dec 28, 2018, 12:26 pm (82 comments)

Mega Millions

$370 million jackpot is the game's 12th-largest

By Todd Northrop

Lottery officials announced today that the jackpot for Friday's Mega Millions drawing has been raised from $348 million to $370 million, as a result of rapid sales.

The Mega Millions jackpot has grown since Oct. 26 and has rolled 18 times.

Mega Millions offers two jackpot payment options: the $370 million annuity prize paid out as one immediate payment followed by 29 annual graduated payments, or the cash option, which is $223.2 million.

"A jackpot of $370 million would be life-changing for anyone, and a great way to start the new year," said Arkansas Scholarship Lottery Director Bishop Woosley. "And even if a player doesn't win the jackpot, he can still be a big winner by playing the Megaplier."

Tickets will remain on sale typically until 10:45 pm Eastern Time on Friday, although players should check with a lottery retailer in their state for the exact sales cutoff time. (Every state is different.)  Players are strongly advised not to wait until the last minute.

The odds of winning the jackpot are approximately 1 in 302 million. The odds of winning any of the Mega Millions prizes are 1 in 24.

Mega Millions tickets cost $2 each. For an extra $1 per ticket players can purchase the Megaplier option, which multiplies any non-jackpot won by up to 5 times, depending on the Megaplier number drawn that evening.

The only state that does not offer the Megaplier is California, because state law banning fixed lottery prize amounts is not compatible with the fixed nature of the Megaplier payouts.

Lottery players can see an after-tax analysis of the current Mega Millions jackpot by visiting USA Mega's Jackpot Analysis page.

Mega Millions features nine different prize levels, ranging from $2 all the way up to the jackpot. Players can win even if they just match one number — the Mega Ball number.

Lottery Post Staff

Comments

Need200K

My target is 2nd prize after tax $500K.....First 5 numbers to match babeh

Raven62's avatarRaven62

When PB gets Hit (JP=$40M) Play MM and vice versa!

Kyle7824's avatarKyle7824

American retirement plan :-)

Kyle7824's avatarKyle7824

Quote: Originally posted by Raven62 on Dec 28, 2018

When PB gets Hit (JP=$40M) Play MM and vice versa!

PB sadly already has :-(

Artist77's avatarArtist77

Quote: Originally posted by Need200K on Dec 28, 2018

My target is 2nd prize after tax $500K.....First 5 numbers to match babeh

I always spend the extra dollar...up to $5 million for 2nd place.

CDanaT's avatarCDanaT

Increases on the day of the drawing  are a pleasant surprise and a respectable option. 

But will it roll ????

Lurking

TheMeatman2005's avatarTheMeatman2005

Quote: Originally posted by CDanaT on Dec 28, 2018

Increases on the day of the drawing  are a pleasant surprise and a respectable option. 

But will it roll ????

Lurking

I agree on the increase.

Will it roll? What? Not if I can help it! No No

Hurray! Banana Dance Hyper Party

Raven62's avatarRaven62

Quote: Originally posted by CDanaT on Dec 28, 2018

But will it roll ????

Lurking

I hope not!

Bleudog101

I just bought some tickets to mail to my Brother for his birthday present--4 weeks worth of MM & PB sans multipliers.

PRO=Please Roll Over...New Jersey bound..watch out Todd!

jjtheprince14

MM and PB jackpots are ALWAYS won concurrently, so there’s a 0% chance MM will roll, it WILL be won tonight. Get your tickets everyone!

sweetie7398's avatarsweetie7398

I prefer MM

benjibanks's avatarbenjibanks

I am going to pass on tonight's draw, I will play on New Year's Day if it rolls.

hearsetrax's avatarhearsetrax

had skipped the Christmas draw and bought the single ticket 4 tonight 

G2TP and RBR

maximumfun's avatarmaximumfun

Quote: Originally posted by sweetie7398 on Dec 28, 2018

I prefer MM

I Agree! - I played it when it was the BIG game, and I still play it now that it's MM.  However, don't get me wrong, I wouldn't turn down a PB win...  Embarassed

noise-gate

....just looked up at the afternoon sky, and saw a slight glint at the edge of a cloud formation, then l recall the old saying " every cloud has a silver lining." My question is : Is it for thee or me?

Coin Toss's avatarCoin Toss

Will the Mega Millions jackpot be won tonight?

DON'T+COUNT+ON IT

jjtheprince14

Quote: Originally posted by Coin Toss on Dec 28, 2018

DON'T+COUNT+ON IT

I seriously doubt it seeing that Powerball was just won.

Trends show that both tend to be won concurrently.

Quote: Originally posted by jjtheprince14 on Dec 28, 2018

I seriously doubt it seeing that Powerball was just won.

Trends show that both tend to be won concurrently.

Read what you posted jj, makes no sense whatsoever.

Artist77's avatarArtist77

Read what you posted jj, makes no sense whatsoever.

Well I see JJ's point. We have all won so many back to back mm and pb jackpots, it is difficult to keep the wins straight. If I win any more jackpots, it will be annoying.

weshar75's avatarweshar75

I will settle for a cool million myself tonight.-weshar75

US Flag

Quote: Originally posted by Artist77 on Dec 28, 2018

Well I see JJ's point. We have all won so many back to back mm and pb jackpots, it is difficult to keep the wins straight. If I win any more jackpots, it will be annoying.

Oh no, Artist is thinking like jj.......

Big Joey

What happens if the South Carolina Mega Millions billion dollar jackpot winning ticket is not claimed? Does the money go back into the current jackpot, or used to fund prizes in scratch off tickets? Dead

LottoLucy's avatarLottoLucy

Quote: Originally posted by Big Joey on Dec 28, 2018

What happens if the South Carolina Mega Millions billion dollar jackpot winning ticket is not claimed? Does the money go back into the current jackpot, or used to fund prizes in scratch off tickets? Dead

All of the states that participate get back the money they put in to fund the jackpot and do with it whatever their state’s law say they must.

Kingofearth's avatarKingofearth

DON'T+COUNT+ON IT

Not with the numbers that came out tonight. It will roll.

MsBee18

Several 5+0 winners: CA,FL,GA,NJ,PA and WA with megaplier. But it's rolling to $415 million. That puts January 1st 2019 jackpot in the Top 25. Happy New Year!

CDanaT's avatarCDanaT

MM and PB jackpots are ALWAYS won concurrently, so there’s a 0% chance MM will roll, it WILL be won tonight. Get your tickets everyone!

0%--------->              Chair<----------Mr. Jackpot

Bleudog101

Looks like your theory was blown out of the water since she went up to $415 million!

With the exception of PA, coastal states won the secondary prizes!

Happy New Year!

hearsetrax's avatarhearsetrax

well my friends, it would seem like the MM is off to a healthy start for 2019 jejeje

TheMeatman2005's avatarTheMeatman2005

I say that the MM jackpot will get a bump before the 1/1/19 drawing. It could possibly go to $440 mil.

This is the best time to win. You get almost 16 months of interest on the money you need to pay in taxes by 4/15/2020.

Happy New Year everyone! Party

Subscribe to this news story